Friday, September 5, 2008

Cooler Fish Tacos

The weather has been great lately. Sunny and warm. Perfect for training and grilling out. Last week after a weekend of killer workouts and lounging by the pool Beth and I were in the mood for Mexican, but some thing cool (as in not too hot).

Beth and I both love lettuce cups as an appetizer and always order them when we go out to eat. A couple of months ago I got the idea of making fish tacos and instead of using red cabbage in the tacos I would use cabbage leave as the shell/tortilla/wrap. I am sure I didn't make this up, but I had never had cabbage used as the shell, it's usually butter/bib lettuce or something green. We both really liked it so we did it again. This coupled with Beth's gazpacho made for a killer dinner.

I also made some avocado salsa inspired by a recipe J.P. posted. I changed it up a bit but it came out awesome and we have been eating all week... on everything.

the avocado Salsa.

1 avocado
1/4 diced onion
1/2 diced jalepeno
2 cloves of garlic
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup tomato sauce (mexican hot style)
1/4 cup Trader Joe's 0% greek yogurt
handful of cilantro
salt & pepper
a little water to help thin it out and blend

things i added... the yogurt added some creaminess & protein and the sauce gave it a bit more spice.


DANGER! Beth helping out!


I could eat this like ice cream (or frozen yogurt).


I took care of the salsa and Beth whipped up the gazpacho and rest of meal was pretty simple. We just threw some mahi mahi fillets on the grill with an ear of corn (for garnish and small side).

After the fish was grilled and corn was charred it was time to eat.



good.

9 comments:

Jim said...

First, fish tacos without a semi-crisp flour tortilla really doesn't do it for me.

Second, doesn't the cabbage flavor over power the other flavors. Cabbage can be quite strong.

Third, we are going to check out a place called Gringos for fish tacos tonight. It's over on Norfolk Ave. next door to where to where HotLine used to be.

I'll keep you posted.

Jim said...

Scratch Gringos. Sub-par food and way over priced. Small, crowded, poor service.

J.P. Patrick said...

Damn!!! Maybe I should move to San Diego and we could open a fast-casual fish taco shack! You'd probably only get the "shaved legs" crowd for your "red cabbage-taco shell style!" The salsa looks awesome! Great idea! Double that batch and you'll have some for the week. The lime keeps it from browning. I'm makin' fish tacos this week!!

Mary said...

You two are offically my two new favorite people (and I don't even know James). This blog is fabulous! I love all the recipe ideas...

Mary said...

Love it! This blog is fabulous...great recipe ideas...can't wait to try some!

Sarah said...

Hey Guys,

It's been a little while since I visited Vo2maxxed (busy reading Beth's blog!!!) but then I came back today and was reminded how much I looooove your food blog!

Anyway, we're having folks over for dinner tomorrow night and guess what we're doing...FISH TACOS!!

We found an awesome rub for the mahi mahi from Food Network (I'll post it on my blog this weekend), but I also came to get that sauce (I think it was one of your guys' dad's recipes...) for fish tacos you posted awhile back. I CAN'T WAIT TO MAKE IT!

Anyways, I'll be sure to let you know how the NorCal fish tacos go. :) Thanks as always for the great inspirations and ideas!

LJ said...

wow I just found this blog and you guys have some awesome picture and recipes, its making me starving!

J.P. Patrick said...

OK guys.. 3+ weeks without a food post! Are you on diets?!

Jim said...

More food please.