Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Grilled Veggies and Summertime chicken

We love salads.

We both usually eat at least one salad a day... sometimes two. They are easy to make, mega healthy, and never get old because there are so many ways to change it up.

This summer I have been really into making grilled veggies(like almost every night!). I still get my salad fix at lunch and dinner it's time to throw what ever veggies we have on the grill.



Some of our favotites:
zucchini
squash
asparagus
sweet potato (yams)
onions
button mushrooms
portobello mushrooms
Bell peppers (all colors)

a lot of the time I will make grilled veggie salads and just throw all the grilled goodness on top of some mixed greens and top with some goat cheese and homemade dressing.

For the protein part of this meal I grilled up some chicken. I don't really have a name for the recipe/marinade I used for the chicken but it's been a staple for me and reminds me of good times in the summer living in Virginia Beach. We used to have big backyard BBQ's at my good friend Ricky's house. We used to surf all day, come home drink some ice cold beers and cook up tons of food. Ricky or his dad would always make their famous "broasted chicken". His dad was a killer cook and actually owns The Jewish Mother in Virginia, and Ricky now runs the place.

Here's the recipe for the marinade. You can use any kind of chicken you want. I think bone-in works is the best but I just had some skinless breasts on hand so I used those.

Summertime Chicken Marinade:
I don't use any measurements and pretty much eyeball everything so these are just guesses.



1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp Tapatio Hot Sauce
1/2 lemon (squeeze out the juice and leave in the dish used for marinading)
1 lime (squeeze out the juice and leave in the dish used for marinading)
fresh ground black pepper to taste
canjun seasoning to taste

That's it. Give it plenty of time to marinade... at least 8 hours. Then Grill. Then get down.

7 comments:

J.P. Patrick said...

Looks good! Only a few things in life that I couldn't live without and my BBQ grill is on the short list! What are your condiments on the plate? Some kinda mustard? And....?

Jim said...

I can vouch for the marinade. In fact, I have some huge drumsticks about to go into a very similar marinade. The only difference is that I use ObieCue Fajita seasoning instead of the Cajun seasoning. This has become a family staple over the last couple of years. The grilled veggies look delicious....

beth said...

my grillmaster! i must say i am a VERY lucky girl that you love to grill almost every night...and pretty much cook for me...makes me feel bad for not doing my part..ok, not reallly. i love it! thanks!

Jim said...

J,
Just looked at your marinade recipe again. Did you forget to list garlic, or have you modified your recipe?

Born To Endure said...

OMG..I just love this blog..keep those pics coming..:-))

Unknown said...

Glad I found your website too! Recipes look great. Thanks!
LCotter

Mer! said...

Hey!! It's Mer--I have a question, how long do the red potatoes cook on the grill??

Sometimes I slice up the red potatoes, put olive oil on them with some chili powder and broil (for nights that you don't grill)....

I love this blog.

Oh yeah and way to kick ASS in your race Beth!! Awesome!